If you don’t already know, I’m pretty obsessed with Tesla, Electric Vehicles, and the overall clean energy movement. It wasn’t too long ago, however (Fall 2018, to be exact) that I was utterly clueless on the topic.
I’d heard of Elon Musk, but that was about it. He’s just some billionaire making fancy cars for rich people, right? ZERO clue what EVs were, let alone how they were the key to building a pollution-free future for all life on earth.
If past Ben sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place.
Here are 20 awesome electric vehicle resources that’ll bring you up to speed on the most exciting industry on earth!
**WARNING: If you get too deep, you may find yourself flying to New Zealand to work for Tesla…**
1. Tony Seba
- In my opinion, the most important public speaker on earth today.
- Focuses on opening peoples’ eyes on how epic (and feasible) the combination of renewable energy and electric vehicles will be for the planet.
- Watch literally ANY of his speeches, and tell me it doesn’t get you hyped about the future. Here’s one of my personal faves:
2. Now You Know
- Great mix of big-picture, and in-depth analysis of important topics in the EV/clean energy field.
- These guys also run a clips channel, which is one of the most easily-shareable electric vehicle resources out there. GREAT for sharing with your friends and family!
- Breaks down the clean energy disruption into technical and financial data.
- If you’re interested in investing, this channel is a must. It’s been enormously beneficial to my stock market knowledge from an environmentalist perspective.
- #1 CleanTech publisher on the web.
- Top-notch journalism.
- Bonus points for featuring my Tesla post back in Feb. 2020! <3 <3 <3
5. Inside EVs
- Fantastic brand-agnostic blog providing broad coverage of the EV programs of all major (and nonmajor) brand worldwide
6. DeSmog Blog
- Focuses on one thing and one thing only: Clearing up the PR bullshit that’s being pumped by Big Oil, Big Auto, and all the other industries that LOVE pollution.
7. Elon Musk
- Nuff said. The man has 33 million followers as of this writing.
- He posts memes.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 5, 2020
- A place for progressive investors to discuss stocks in renewable energy, EVs, plant-based meat, and any other industry that’s innovating for a brighter future.
- Provides broad coverage of the entire EV space, beyond just Tesla. (Take that as you will.)
- A one-stop-stop for all important news & developments regarding the #1 EV company on earth.
- Tesla news for investors, both current and curious.
- A classic from a legend in the EV space.
- Completely void of political bias, which is tough to find these days.
- I reviewed it on the blog, so that automatically makes it more awesome.
13. Local owner groups
- Tesla owners by-in-large are EXTREMELY excited to be early adopters in the future of transportation.
- There are literally thousands of groups, covering nearly every geographic area you can think of.
- Example: Being PNW born-and-raised, and currently living in New Zealand, I follow the Seattle and New Zealand Tesla owner groups.
- Great way to get a firsthand look at what it’s like to own an EV, and get excited to save up for your own 😀
Note: Most content creators use podcasts as a complement to other media sources, like a YouTube channel or blog. I personally recommend opting toward podcasts whenever possible, so you can listen offline while at the gym, on the bus, etc.
- Great source for news across the WHOLE EV movement, not just Tesla.
- They also run a massively popular Fully Charged LIVE convention, bringing thousands of EV enthusiasts together in locations across the globe. Definitely worth keeping tabs on their event schedule in case they’re stopping by a city near you!
- Focuses on the lightweight, micro side of urban transport (e-scooters, e-bikes, etc.)
- This is a HUGE piece of the clean energy puzzle, and Micromobility covers it exclusively.
16. Third Row Tesla
- Hosts weekly panel discussions on what’s new with Tesla.
- Very young group of hosts (mostly mid-20s), which is always cool to see.
- They’ve hosted Elon on the podcast multiple times, which is pretty freaking cool.
If you’re a real podcast nut, here’s a much bigger list of EV Podcasts that’ll have you more than covered.
Alright, enough of that online crap–it’s time for the finale . . . .
I’ve saved the best for last, folks! When it comes to electric vehicle resources, nothing beats firsthand experience. Move these to the top of your to-do list ASAP.
17. Car shows & environmental conventions
- Smart car companies know that they need to market their EVs if they want to stay in business.
- Smart environmentalists know that EVs are crucial to combatting climate change.
- Combine the two, and it’s no shock that both car-focused AND environmental-focused events will be pushing HARD to bring EVs into the public eye. Take advantage of this!
My first time sitting in a Tesla was at a wildlife conservation festival in Melbourne, Australia!
- It’s super easy to find these events near you. Just google: “[YOUR CITY] environmental convention/street fair/car show,” and shoot them an email asking if they’ll have EVs on site. Done.
18. Ride-sharing apps
- As of today, rideshare giants like Uber, Lyft, and taxi fleets are still in the “dabbling” phases of the electric revolution.
- As Tesla inches closer to launching their RoboTaxi rideshare network, these companies will soon have no choice but to either:
- Electrify their entire fleets aggressively.
- Get absolutely clobbered by Tesla’s price undercut. (I personally predict that this will happen regardless, since Tesla will cut out the middleman–but we’ll have to wait and see how that cookie crumbles.)
- Either way, the amount of EVs popping up on rideshare will skyrocket in the near future. Get excited!
19. Test drive
- If there’s a Tesla showroom near you, you HAVE to go in for a test drive!
- I don’t care if you’re dead broke or ready to buy on the spot–if you like fun, then just humor me on this one.
- Beyond Tesla, nearly every car company has EVs available, and will forced to promote them heavily as the Tesla wave crashes down on them. If they don’t–they won’t be around for long. (Sorry to be blunt, but that’s just the truth.)
20. Friends, family, and neighbors
- As someone whose full-time job in Auckland was to deliver Teslas to people, take it from me: EV people are a passionate bunch, and they LOVE showing off their little piece of the future.
- All you have to do is ask.
Alright folks, that’s the list for now! I hope you’ve found some gems among these electric vehicle resources.
Did I miss any good ones? Let me know in the comment section below.
Otherwise, here are some more goodies if you’re as excited about this stuff as I am . . . .
Seeking a career in clean energy?
There are TONS of amazing new businesses joining the fight to break up the fossil-fuel party that has strangled the planet for generations.
I encourage EVERY. SINGLE. ONE of you to consider pursuing this exciting, and extremely important field. Here are my 3 current favorite EV companies to get your gears churning (in descending order by # of wheels):
Zero Motorcycles (California-based)
For all sustainability job-hunting outside of EVs, check out this awesome resource:
Eager to INVEST in the sustainable revolution?
My sustainability obsession all started when I bought a single share of Tesla stock on Robinhood- the brokerage app that I still use to this day.
If you’re a US citizen, CLICK HERE to sign up for a free Robinhood account. By using my referral code, we’ll both receive a FREE stock when you sign up!
I personally have an irresponsible amount of money invested in the EV & clean energy industry right now, and only plan on adding more in the future. For this reason, I’m constantly on the hunt for quality sources of EV news, so I can stay one step ahead of Wall Street.
To join me on the frontlines, make sure to go follow me on Twitter for real-time news & updates!
Love you all,